"You're favorite site blocked? Use our site." Well How Nice of You

My new ISP blocks some site that I used to use, file sharing site. It's very easy to get information on how to get around them. All of them offer a proxy and different dns server and not disclosing the nature of the information, alternative proxy and dns server.
Sure, you can easily get around your favorite site. You should also be aware that means you're involving those server in any information that's coming from and to your computer. That includes your username and password in any site that you visit during that period. You should be cautious on that.
I always read about credit card theft but felt that I live in an area secluded enough that that case wouldn't happen to me and my relative. How wrong I was. My sister in law found out that she was charged for the third month for a service in a site that nobody in her family visit. A quick look at the family computer and I found out that it's possible that her browser was installed with malicious programs posing as useful add ons. Google a little on those add on names and it's pretty easy to get instances on how malicious they are (read forum messages and articles from reliable sources, skip on ad articles as most of them don't disclose enough information on that). It's pretty easy to remove them, as all of them have been around for a long time, at least 6 months.
So please be careful on setting your dns and proxies.
What did I do? I just subscribe to another Internet provider that doesn't block those site. I use that connection when I need to access the file sharing site. It cost more, but it saves me on potential misuse of my information, and ultimately my money.

Comments