Touch Your Computing

It’s here. We finally can play with it. Leap came fairly quick, I didn’t have any trouble with custom. I guess it’s settled, next time you want something delivered quick and painless, get it shipped through something fast like Fedex Express.
Leap motion controller, by Leap Motion, is a motion sensor. I read about it in one tech blog and went to KickStarter to pre order it. That was sometime early this year. After several delays, Leap shipped on July 22. It took them 5 days to arrive here. Neat.
The product does not stand out. I can imagine carrying it to cafĂ©. However, there’s not much apps that are available for it right now. As you can imagine, there’s apps to enable the controller to be accepted in as another input from keyboard, touchpad, and in my laptop, touchscreen. However, maneuvering with the controlling is still not that natural. My shoulder aches after a while. Leaps Motion provides tips on ergonomics on their site here.
I found a unique stand for the controller. Put it just outside your dominant hand. I’m a leftie, so I put it on my left. I found out that I can use it with just my left hand like a mouse. But that didn’t help with the shoulder ache. Maybe this whole ensemble is not working because the controller not properly horizontal-I’m sitting on a sofa.
Anyway, right now, apart from some games, I really don’t know what to do with this thing. Right now I think my touchscreen laptop is outdated, although having using it for several months I can honestly say that my touchscreen feels more natural. Learning curve, I guess. This is the future, there’s no doubt about it. You need future computing to be in you and any input has to be mobile. Gesture just makes sense. This and the projected keyboard. The latter, wel I still see that same product being sold over USD 100. I guess they never broke even.

Comments