Humane approach to interface experience

This topic tickled me, plus I just installed Ubiquity add ons on my Firefox. On a presentation concerning the death of desktop (http://ajaxian.com/archives/death-of-the-desktop-by-aza-raskin), here is some points:
Interface Concepts

* cognetics = ergonomics of the brain
* 7 +- 2 = amount of things we can keep in our brains
* habituation – never use a warning when you mean undo
* people will make mistakes despite any warnings, due to habit
* hick’s and fitt’s law
* hierarchical menus are evil
* information efficency
* there are quantitative measures of how good an interface is

Interface

* interface – what you do with a thing and how it responds
* to a user, the interface is the product
* keep simple things simple
* if you have trouble explaining your interface, your users will have trouble using it!
* compare: setting a digital watch (hellish) versus setting an analog watch (simple)

Other Simple Things That Aren’t

* cell phones – why can’t we take pics on a cell phone like we do with cameras
* rounded corners
* adding an entry to Google Calendar

By the way, it is a long time since I stopped using Blogger interface and used Multiply interface, because Multiply can access all three of my blogs from 1 interface.
It is a long time since I stopped using Multiply web interface and used Multiply mobile interface, because it takes too long for me just to post blog.
Still today, I don't think either Blogger nor Multiply will ever consider this awful mistake.

Comments